Kodi is a popular app that offers a lot of versatility and flexibility. It is possible to run Kodi on multiple devices, including media streamers and computers, but you could still face some issues, including being unable to install and use addons. Here, we will find out how to install and use addons so that you can enjoy great content without hassle. Before we go through the steps to fix the “Failed to Install a Dependency” error, there are a few things that we need to keep in mind regarding Kodi.
Considerations when using Kodi
Kodi is an open-source solution that allows you to access and manage media effectively. While Kodi itself is legal, there are add-ons that enable you to access content that is subject to copyright. These third-party add-ons are not authorized by copyright holders to offer access to movies, TV shows and other media. We don’t encourage the use of unofficial Kodi add-ons, but in the end, the choice and the responsibility are yours. If you decide to use them, it is important that you keep the risks in mind. The add-ons are widely popular and can be obtained for free, but you may end up receiving warning letters and facing other issues for accessing pirated content.
Your IP address can be traced by copyright enforcement agencies and your ISP can monitor your activities and find out what you are up to. In order to protect your privacy, you can use a VPN service. This will keep you protected against eavesdroppers and it also adds a layer of security to fend off malicious attacks. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic, which prevents others from intercepting your online activities. It is an efficient solution to keep your personal data safe. That is not all. With a VPN, it is also possible to bypass restrictions in order to access content that is geo-locked. You will be able to visit websites and use services that are not available in your location due to censorship or geographical restrictions.
What VPN services can you use?
There are different options available in the market, but in order to fully enjoy the benefits of a VPN, it is important to choose well. You need a service that is trustworthy and that offers all the features that will allow you to stay safe while using Kodi and to access content without issues. It is important to use a service that is fast, secure and that offers a varied selection of servers. We recommend ExpressVPN, IPVanish, Private Internet Access, NordVPN and PureVPN. They offer great speeds that will allow you to stream content without issues, they also enable you to keep your information protected because they use high encryption. In addition, they have all the necessary features that allow you to bypass restrictions effectively.
What does the “Failed to Install a Dependency” error mean?
You may have faced issues when trying to install a specific add-on. In most cases, the issue states that a specific dependency is causing the problem. To understand better the issue, we need to talk about Kodi Dependencies. There are some Kodi add-ons that can work on their own. Usually, they are simple solutions that can host their own content. The thing is that there are complex add-ons that rely on third-party services to gather content and offer links that allow you to stream links. These third-party services are known as dependencies. You install them at the same time you install the add-ons, which usually run in the background. In some cases, it can be one, but usually these add-ons are using three or more third-party services.
The “Failed to install a dependency” error appears after you hit the “Install” button when you are in the process of installing a Kodi add-on. This prevents you from using the add-on because if a dependency fails, it is not even possible to install the add-on. In most cases, it is not possible to know why a dependency can’t be installed. You will have to check your Kodi log files and even in that case, you probably won’t understand what is going on. The good news is that there are some things that you can do to try to fix the issue.
How to fix “Failed to Install a Dependency” error
There are two ways in which you can get the issue resolved. The first option is to delete a database file to fix Kodi on its own. If that doesn’t work, it is advisable to install dependencies manually.
Rebuild Kodi’s database
If one of Kodi’s database files becomes corrupted, you may still be able to use Kodi, but you may face a problem when installing add-ons. If you have previously installed add-ons, rebuilding Kodi’s database cam delete your addons. This is why this option is suitable for beginners who are using Kodi and want to experiment by themselves.
- Ensure that you start your Kodi using admin privileges.
- On Windows, click right on Kodi’s icon and choose “Run as Administrator”. If you are using Mac, just make sure that you have admin privileges.
- Open Kodi and then click on the Gear Icon, which is located in the top-left corner.
- Now click on File Manager
- On the left side of the screen, click twice to open “Profile Directory”.
- Open the Database folder. There, you will find a file called Addon27.db. Right-click on it and select Delete.
- Confirm your selection and delete the file permanently
- Then, shut down your Kodi. Allow some time and launch Kodi again. Then, retry to install some add-on and see if you can find the Dependency error again.
Now you should be able to install an add-on without problems, but this may not work in some instances. If it doesn’t work for you, you can try the below.
Install Dependencies Manually
Now, we’ll take a look at how to install the most popular dependencies manually. You will have to do this before you install an add-on.
- Launch Kodi and click on the top-left placed Gear icon. Then go to File Manager
- Click twice on “Add Source”, which is on the left side of the screen
- Now, you should see a pop-up. Then click on and you will need to provide an address.
- Copy and paste this URL: http://fusion.tvaddons.co/ and then name the source (TV Addons) and click OK.
- Return to Kodi’s Home Screen by pressing the backspace button. Then open the Add-ons section, using the main menu.
- Look for Open Package icon in the top-left corner. Click to open, then select “Install from ZIP file”.
- Launch the recently added source. To do this, click on the TV Addons folder. Open the “kodi-scripts” folder.
- There, you will see some ZIP files. You will have to install these, because all of them are important dependencies. You can click the first one.
- After a while, the dependency will be installed and a notification will appear.
Now you need to repeat the steps for the other dependencies that appear in the “kodi-scripts” folder. That is all. You can try to install your new add-on and hopefully, there won’t be issues since you can install the relevant dependencies manually.