Experimenting with different add-ons and builds is part of the Kodi experience. There are many add-ons that can bring Kodi’s functionality to the next level, giving you even more entertainment options. However, some of the solutions available only offer a good appearance, but are disappointing in terms of performance. This is particularly noticeable when it comes to Smart TVs, Android boxes and other devices that have some restrictions in terms of features.
The good news is that it is possible to get rid of any add-on or build that has been installed on Kodi. There are two methods that you can use to fresh start Kodi and we will talk about them in this guide. These solutions will allow you to remove add-ons that you don’t use anymore or builds that you installed by mistake. With these methods, you will also be able to solve common dependencies error. The instructions for the universal method (first method) work on any platform that is compatible with Kodi such as Windows, Mac and Linux. The second method works better for Android.
Universal Method – Get rid of builds and add-ons from Kodi 17 Krypton
The steps listed here are ideal for Kodi 17.4 and they may also work with other versions. Before you start, the best thing is to go back to the default Kodi skin, if you have a custom one. To revert to the original skin, go to System, then select Interface, Skin, change to Estuary and then confirm. After reverting to the default Kodi skin, you can move to the below steps to perform a fresh start and get rid of add-ons and builds that you don’t want to use.
1. Select the Settings icon that is in the top-right corner, near the power button.
2. Go to the File Manager and click/tap on Add source
3. If you haven’T added source previously, click twice on . Then, you can download the repositories from dimitrology.com and similar sites. Enter http://dimitrology.com/repo and select OK. In case the link is not working for you, you can try http://fusion.tvaddons.ag/
Then return to Kodi’s home page and scroll down. Then, tap on Add-ons.
4. Select Add-ons, tap on the package icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
5. Scroll down and select Install from zip file
6. Scroll all the way down and select the repo entry that you added before.
7. Now you will see an extensive list of repository files. Scroll down til the end and select plugin.video.freshstart-1.0.5.zip. Select OK to confirm.
8. Allow some time for the file to unzip and install. You will know that it is ready when you see the Fresh Start notification at the top-right corner of the screen.
9. Then return to the home screen and select Add-ons again.
10. Scroll down and tap on Program Add-ons. From there, go to Fresh Start.
11. Confirm your selection, select OK and allow some time for the process to be completed.
12. You will see a message letting you know once the process is complete. Select OK, then return to the home screen.
13. Next, you just need to reboot Kodi. Select the Power icon that is located in the top left corner of the screen. From there, select Reboot.
That is all you need to do to remove builds and add-ons from Kodi. Your KOdi is not completely clean and it has reverted to its original state.
Method for Android – Kodi 17
The universal method should work for all platforms, but if you are an Android user who is struggling with the steps, you can try the second option. This method should work with Android devices such as smartphones and Android TV boxes. The steps in this method should also allow you to unblock your Kodi in case it freezes. It is the same as performing a factory reset and starting Kodi for the first time. This method will be handy if you were not able to wipe Kodi using the method above because the app is not opening. Keep in mind that it is only suitable for Android.
1. Ensure that you close Kodi and that you go to the Android device’s screen. On the home screen, open Settings.
2. From the list of apps, go through the Downloaded apps tab and choose Kodi. Then scroll down and select Force Stop. Select OK to confirm.
3. Leave the Force Stop tab and go down to the Clear Cache. Select OK.
It should be noted that this contains temporary files that are used by Kodi. Due to that, it is possible to clear the cache when Kodi is not working correctly or when it freezes.
4. Repeat the same steps with Clear Data. Select OK and allows some time until the Computing message is no longer on the screen.
It is also important to note that Clear data contains all the extra files used by Kodi including builds, skins, add-ons, skins and other files used for customization. Once Clear data displays 0.00 b, you can go to the first option and select Open.
You will see that the Kodi app starts just like it did when you launched it for the first time.
If you are having issues with your desktop computer or laptop, you can use the Reimage Plus Software which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This should work in the majority of cases in which the issue is related to a system corruption.
The above methods will help you to factory reset your Kodi app so that you can start adding new builds or installing the add-ons that you want. The methods are designed to help you to get rid of unwanted builds and add-ons.