Amazon Prime Video is a popular streaming service and many people would like to enjoy this service on mobile devices and other platforms. With Amazon Prime Video it is possible to enjoy a wide variety of content including movies and TV shows. You can enjoy top entertainment when you are on the go. Then we have Google Chromecast, a streaming solution that is affordable and easy to use. Unfortunately, Amazon Prime Video users will come across issues if they try to stream content using Google Chromecast. This is because according to Amazon, Android and Chromecast are not compatible with Amazon Prime and Instant Video services. This makes it seems like the only option for Amazon Prime subscribers is to get Amazon’s Fire TV or Fire TV Stick so that they can watch Instant and Prime content. However, there is an alternative available.
What are the benefits of using Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime offers access to movies, TV shows, music and more. That is not all, Amazon Prime is also a service that allows subscribers to enjoy free shipping and special discounts on the Amazon platform. There are movies and TV series that you can only find on Amazon Prime. While at $99, Amazon Prime seems expensive, it can help you to save money, besides, you can opt for the monthly plan, which costs $10.
Google’s streaming device is a small, simple solution that can be plugged into your TV’s HDMI port using a USB cable, which is included when you buy Chromecast. The model or brand of your TV are not important, as long as it has an HDMI port. A smartphone or computer are also needed. You will need to connect the device to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast device. Currently, Chromecast supports Google Play, Netflix, Hulu and of course, YouTube, but unfortunately, Amazon Prime is not in the list.
How to watch Amazon Prime Videos on Chromecast
Thankfully, there is a way around and all that you need is an Android TV, or a computer with Chrome browser. You can follow a few steps to be able to stream Amazon Prime content via Chromecast. Before getting started, let’s talk about what is required. The first thing is a Chromecast device, which you need to connect to your computer. This should be connected to the same network. Then you need to use Chrome browser. Of course, you need to have an Amazon Prime subscription to be able to use this service. Here is what you need to do.
1. Open Chrome browser and then go to your Amazon Prime account. Click on the Prime drop down arrow and select Watch.
2. The video that you select will start playing automatically, unless you have previously created a playlist. Pause the video while you connect to the Chromecast device.
3. In Chrome browser, go to the Chromecast icon in the upper right hand corner. Once you click on it, select your Chromecast device from the list. Select Cast tab from the Cast to drop down menu.
4. Now, the video will start playing on the screen that you select for your Chromecast device. There are different options available in the Cast tab and they can be used to set your viewing preferences.
5. Next, you need to select from these three video qualities: Standard (480p), High (720p) or Extreme Quality (this is is 720p, but with higher bitrate). You can access settings by clicking on the Cast button. Then, click the Settings button, this is the gear icon.
6. It is only possible to change streaming quality, but you can also mute and unmute the sound using the volume button. Given that it is not possible to adjust the volume level in the Cast tab, you will need to use the TV remote.
7. With Chromecast, it is possible to stream any content, regardless of the quality or format. To finish the session, you just need to close the browser window or select Stop Casting from the Cast button.
What are the downsides of streaming Prime videos on Chromecast?
Although the above steps will help you to stream videos, browser casting is not the best way to do so. While the dedicated app gives you the chance to stream videos at 1080p, using your browser only allows you to cast at 720p, maximum. If you have watched high-quality videos in the past, it will be very difficult to get used to issues like pixelation, bad audio and low quality. Furthermore, you need to keep your computer or phone connected while you are streaming, which will drain the battery. Charging the battery while you are streaming can lead to overheating. These are downsides that you need to keep in mind if you choose to stream Amazon Prime content using Chromecast.
Best VPN for Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime video gives subscribers the chance to access an extensive selection of movies and TV shows. However, the list of options varies from one region to the other. Usually, you can find more content in the US version of Amazon Instant Video. The good news for people outside the US is that it is possible to get around restrictions with the help of a VPN. This technology allows you to get bypass blocks since it lets you change your IP address. You just need to connect to a VPN server in the location of your choice to overcome restrictions. A VPN lets you get more out of your Amazon Prime subscription and there are several services available. Here are the best solutions for Amazon Prime:
ExpressVPN offers great speeds, which makes it a top solution for streaming. You can bypass restrictions and enjoy access to a vast selection of content with the help of this VPN. ExpressVPN has servers in over 90 countries and it doesn’t keep logs of your activities.
NordVPN is a highly secure service that also allows you to bypass restrictions and enjoy access to more content using your Amazon Prime account. NordVPN has servers in over 60 countries and it uses advanced security features to protect your data. NordVPN is a zero logs provider.
VyprVPN is also worth considering since it provides amazing speeds and a reliable network. You can connect to servers in over 70 locations around the world and enjoy fast speeds. With VyprVPN, you can overcome restrictions and enjoy high protection for your privacy since VyprVPN uses strong encryption and it doesn’t keep logs of your activities.