Amazon Fire TV Stick is a popular device that will change the way in which you enjoy entertainment at home. In order to get the most of it and enjoy even more and better content, you may want to install Kodi on your Amazon device. Well, here we will show the steps that you can follow to complete the process without having to use a computer or another device, apart from the Fire TV itself. You will be able to install Kodi and through it, you can get access to a vast selection of content including live streams, TV shows and movies. Follow the below guide to jailbreak the Amazon Fire TV Stick in only a few simple steps.
Are there any legal implications?
You may wonder if it is legal to jailbreak your Amazon Fire TV Stick so before we get started with the guide, let’s address that. Kodi is a legal software that allows you to watch content with high quality. It lets you manage your videos in a convenient and great looking interface. However, there are add-ons that give you access to pirated streams, TV shows and movies. This is what could potentially land you into some trouble so make sure that you are aware of the risks. There are unofficial add-ons that provide access to copyrighted content, without having the licenses required to do so. Copyright enforcement agencies could come after you for streaming content illegally. While it is advisable to avoid using such add-ons, if you do it, you need to protect yourself with a VPN. Now, let’s look at the steps that you need to follow in order to get Kodi on your Amazon TV Fire Stick.
Hide your IP address on Fire TV Stick
In order to prevent others from tracing you when you are watching content online, it is important to disguise your IP address. Your IP can be used to find your location, your ISP and other details that will eventually lead to you. A VPN helps you to conceal your IP address because when you connect to a VPN server, your real IP address is replaced with the VPN IP. This means that others will see the IP address of the VPN servers instead of your one. A VPN also encrypts your traffic, meaning that your activities are hidden from prying eyes. The data is scrambled so even if your ISP or other parties try to see what you are doing online, they won’t be able to know what content is accessed.
Installing a VPN on your Fire TV is the first step to enjoy Kodi safely on your device. There are VPN services like IPVanish and ExpressVPN that have versions of their apps that work with Amazon Fire TV Stick. You will also find practical set up guides from these and other providers so that you can set up the VPN on your Amazon device. First you need to create an account with the VPN service of your choice. Then launch the Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV. Go to Apps at the top of the home screen and select “Categories” and the Utility. Select your VPN provider’s app. If you are unable to find the “Utility” section of your FireStick, just use the search function and look for the app on the Amazon Store. Select Get and download the app and once it is installed, select Open and sign in with your account login details. Once the VPN is running on your device, select a VPN server and connect to it. When the VPN connection is active, just click the home button on your Fire Stick remote control.
Jailbreak Fire Stick with Kodi
The most popular way to jailbreak your Amazon Fire TV Stick is to to set up Kodi on the Amazon device. To install Kodi on the Fire Stick, you need to complete two steps. The first one is to install the ES File Explorer, as this will allow you to install Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick.
1. To install ES File Explorer on Fire Stick, go to Settings on the Fire TV, then System and Developer Options
2. Enable “Allow apps from unknown sources” and the go to Search from the Amazon Fire Stick main menu
3. Type “ES Explorer”.
4. Click on the ES Explorer app icon to download and install it
5. Launch the ES Explorer app
Install Kodi on Fire Stick via ES Explorer
1. From the ES Explorer menu, go to Tools, then Download Manager in the left-hand menu.
2. Click on “+ New” from the bottom menu and type http://kodi.tv then click OK.
3. Enter “Kodi” as the name and select Download Now.
4. The Kodi installation file will now start to download. You will be able to select “Hide” and then go to Tools, followed by Download Manager to check the download process.
5. When the Kodi apk file is downloaded, you will be able to install it on the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
6. Go back to the Fire TV home screen and launch the Kodi app.
Install your first Kodi Add-on
Now that you have Kodi on your Amazon Fire TV Stick, you can follow the below steps to install any Kodi add-on you want.
1. Launch your Kodi app and go to Addons
2. Now, select the Package Installer icon that is located at the top left corner.
3. Then, click on Install from Repository, then select Kodi Add-on Repository and Video Add-ons.
4. Select the video addon that you want to add and select Install. Allow some time until you see Addon Enabled notification.
5. Go back to the Kodi homescreen and select the “Addons” tab from the column on the left.
6. Click on Video addons. Here, you will see all the video addons installed.
Click on Video Addons.